A+ R A-

News Wire

Africans Huddle at Libyan Border, Abandoned by All

E-mail Print PDF

Special to the NNPA from the Global Information Network –

Black African men, women, and children, immigrant workers in the country lead by the one-time chair of the African Union, Col. Moammar Gaddafi, remain stranded at the airports and docks as boats from China, Turkey, and many other countries retrieve their citizens caught in the current crossfire.

A Nigerian woman with two children pleaded with a reporter: “Sir, I have been in this airport for three weeks, no food to eat, we sleep on the floor everyday waiting for a plane to come and evacuate us. Please beg Nigerian government to come with bigger planes to evacuate us.”

The U.N.’s refugee agency says there are hundreds of thousands of African migrant workers in Libya. Many have been there for years and U.N. officials are worried about their welfare as alarming accounts are received of their treatment.

According to the Campaign for the Rights of Nigerians in Diaspora, some 7,000 Nigerians are awaiting evacuation, aside from those trapped in Benghazi and other cities outside of Tripoli. Some 10,000 Ghanaians are still in Tripoli, after the rescue of some 684 citizens of Ghana, a minister confirmed.

“Right now, Gaddafi is a big danger to Black Africans,” wrote Cameron Duodu, in the online news journal Pambazuka. “Any Black person found in Libya is likely to be given very short shrift by the White-skinned section of the Arab population, which believes that Gaddafi has imported – or is importing – Blacks from Chad, Nigeria, Ghana, Burkina Faso, Liberia and anywhere else that he has followers, to go and fight for him.”

Meanwhile, the Chinese news wire Xinhua, reports that approximately 32,000 Chinese were "whisked" out of Libya with another 3,000 waiting to be airlifted out of the desert in the country's south. While no Chinese have been killed or injured, Chinese business and construction sites are reportedly looted and projects such as a half-finished public housing development worth $2.67 billion have been halted.

Egyptians in 'Million Woman March' Defy Hecklers

E-mail Print PDF

Special to the NNPA from the Global Information Network –

Hundreds of Egyptian women, inspired by the recent uprising, returned to Cairo’s central Tahrir square recently and faced down a mob of men heckling them and ordering them to go home.

The women’s “Million Woman March” was planned to mark International Women’s Day and demand more women appointees by the new prime minister, who has appointed only one to his cabinet despite the sizeable participation of women in the uprisings that lead to the ouster of President Hosni Mubarak.

"(The hecklers) said our role was to stay home and raise presidents, not to run for president," Farida Helmy, a 24-year old journalist told a reporter.

“I thought we were going to be celebrated as women of the revolution because we were present during the days of Tahrir," Passant Rabie said to a reporter. "Unless women are included now, we are going to be oppressed."

Rabie said she was surprised to find women being verbally abused and groped after the role they played in the citizen revolt. Women had been central to the protests, leading chants, spending cold nights in the square and even fighting during the battle of Black Wednesday, when pro-government henchmen attacked the protesters.

Commenting on the heckling, feminist activist Mona Ezzat blamed it on the old regime. “This is a natural product of the long years of dictatorship," Ezzat told Ahram Online.

“We need to change social and cultural concepts about what women's role is to begin with. That is one of the biggest battles,” says Yasmine Khalifa, a graduate student. “This is a long process and today's event is not a beginning, it's just a continuation of the revolution.”

In a related development, thousands of women in the Ivory Coast taking part in a Women’s Day march while protesting the continuation of rule by President Laurent Gbagbo came under gunfire. Four fatalities were reported.

Will Angola be the Next Libya?

E-mail Print PDF

Special to the NNPA from the Global Information Network –

More than a dozen protestors including a popular rap artist were arrested recently as the Angolan government attempted to head off a protest against the 32-year rule of President Jose Eduardo dos Santos.

The protest began when an anonymous group of individuals set up a website announcing "a new revolution of the Angolan people."

Government officials rebuked the protest. "Angola is not Egypt. Angola is not Libya. Angola is not Tunisia," said one official. Dino Matross, secretary general of the ruling party, was more blunt. "Anyone who demonstrates," he said, "we're going to get you."

Luaty Beirão, a popular Angolan rapper also known as Brigadeiro Mata Frakus believes the political parties are out of touch with Angolan people. At a recent gig, he called on President Dos Santos to step down while a large audience chanted "Fora!" ("Out!")

Although Angola is the continent's first producer of crude oil along with Nigeria, the majority of its people live beneath the poverty line and the gap between rich and poor is one of the widest in the world. Rafael Marques, a noted journalist, observed: "Opposition is weak, but unhappiness with the ruling MPLA party is overwhelming."

Meyers Paving Way as First Female President of Jackson State University

E-mail Print PDF

By Othor Cain, Special to the NNPA from The Mississippi Link –

After 133 years of academic excellence, Jackson State University for the first time has a female as its chief executive officer.

The state College Board voted unanimously in favor of hiring Dr. Carolyn Meyers, 64, as JSU’s 10th president, ending the stronghold of male leadership.

“I’ve had a history of being the first in a lot of situations; either the first Black this or the first woman that so I don’t feel any particular pressure to succeed in what is considered a male dominated field,” Meyers recently shared with The Mississippi Link.

Meyers, who describes herself as a “researcher,” a “collaborative leader” and a “thinker,” replaced interim president Leslie McLemore, a political science professor appointed when Ronald Mason left in June 2010 to lead the Southern University System based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Meyers began her tenure at JSU in January. She has more than 30 years of experience in higher education, most recently serving as president of Norfolk State University.

Prior to working at Norfolk State, Meyers was provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs at North Carolina A&T.

Meyers has been praised for her spirited personality, sometimes bragging about students as though they were her own children. She is also known to be data driven, which brought criticism from those who thought she moved too slowly but accolades from those who appreciated her analytical view.

Her hiring at Norfolk State in 2006 was seen as a coup: a female scientist with degrees in mechanical and chemical engineering who completed postdoctoral work at Harvard University.

Meyers is ready to ensure the masses know about JSU. She plans to start in an unlikely place…Mississippi. “I want to take Jackson State to the people, create listening tours and forge new and build upon old relationships,” she said. “We must get a buy in from everyone across this state and I’m excited about getting out and meeting the great people of Mississippi.”

Community members and staffers alike are excited to have Meyers at the helm of JSU.

Dr. Donna Antoine LaVigne, associate director of the JSU Heart Study Program recently told members of the media that Meyers “seemed like she was a big force in a tiny package. Not only being a scientist and being able to look at evidence based on data but also to have compassion for knowing the university must have a role in the community is very positive.”

Meyers said she’s excited to be at JSU because it is a benchmark school. “As a leader among HBCUs, Jackson State was one of the institutions against which other institutions benchmark,” she said. “The growth, scholarly productivity, and solid reputation made Jackson State University attractive to me.

Meyers made it clear that together, students, alumni, faculty, staff, and the community would shape the vision for JSU. “This is not Meyers State University, this is Jackson State University and together we win,” she said.

Housing Tussle Continues in St. Bernard Parish

E-mail Print PDF

By Zoe Sullivan, Special to the NNPA from The Louisiana Weekly –

After Katrina, St. Bernard Parish issued an ordinance restricting rental of single-family dwellings to people related by blood. It also put a moratorium on the construction of multi-family dwellings. Both of these steps were perceived as efforts to prevent African-Americans from moving into the Parish, and the Greater New Orleans Fair Housing Action Center (GNOFHAC) won federal injunctions to overturn both of these policies.

Last week, the fight heated up again. After St. Bernard Parish President Craig Taffaro urged council members to "stand with him" while adopting a "resolution to this challenge that incorporates the concerns of the federal agencies while maintaining our ability to govern locally." The Parish President's office told The Louisiana Weekly that the multi-family housing development being planned for the parish is of a high-density type that doesn't fit with the agency for Housing and Urban Development's current policies. "They tore down high-density housing in New Orleans," the Parish President's office said, questioning why similar housing would then be built in St. Bernard.

A press release from the GNOFHAC said that the organization filed a temporary restraining order against the parish because "St. Bernard Parish officials clearly stated their intent to violate the Fair Housing Act and the Consent Order by impeding the development of four mixed-income apartment complexes."

GNOFHAC Executive Director James Perry comments, "We are profoundly disappointed in Mr. Taffaro and other parish leaders for what is another backwards and wrongheaded step by the Parish to limit housing opportunities for people of color. We will continue to advocate in court and through HUD's processes until there is fair housing choice in St. Bernard Parish."

In his statement to the parish council earlier last week, Taffaro "acknowlede[d] and rebuke[d] discrimination both past and present.” But, he said, "The timing of the Provident project is wrong, the agenda is flawed, and the implementation is skewed. At the end of the day, the developers walk away with their profit, the tenants are herded away from home ownership opportunities in a recovering community, and the parish is left with the burden of being left with additional properties expanding the glut of existing rental and for sale housing."

Perry countered the assertion of surplus housing, citing statistics that 40 percent of pre-Katrina St. Bernard residents say that lack of housing is one of the factors that prevent them from returning to the parish. Additionally, Perry argued, a "state-of-the-art" hospital is being built within walking distance of the Provident development, which means that the new homes would be suitable for the facility's staff.

Parish officials say that they were forced by the federal government to re-issue a building permit to Provident Realty Advisors, Inc. although the original permit had expired and the firm didn't follow any re-application procedures.

According to the GNOFHAC, the current situation follows on the heels of a fifth motion for contempt that it filed against the parish in January, sustaining that the parish's actions violated the terms of a February 2008 Consent Order and the Fair Housing Act. The previous decree was extended through the end of this year by Judge Berrigan, who said that allegations against the parish, "if true, indicate that the parish is prepared to deviate from normal procedures in an effort to harass and delay Provident's ongoing construction."

Some of the steps Taffaro suggested in last week's council meeting for Provident include obtaining a wetlands permit from the Army Corps of Engineers, a release from the State Fire Marshal, and a review by the Water and Sewer Division.

"Their assertions are laughable," said Perry. "Provident Housing has done everything they have been obligated to do under the permitting process. ...they intend to stop the project regardless of whether [Provi­dent] do[es] anything right or wrong."

Perry also pointed out that the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is considering withdrawing hurricane recovery funds from the parish as a result of this situation. Additionally, in an extremely rare move, HUD's Secretary has initiated a complaint process. Perry says that Secretary Shaun Donovan "saw activities that were so egregious that he decided to launch the complaint process against St. Bernard Parish."

Page 253 of 334

Quantcast

BVN National News Wire