The Alumni Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha recently held their Annual Black and White Ball at the San Bernardino Hilton. The formal ball was so successful that the organizers had to turn away about 25 people.
The event has grown so much, after an eleven year hiatus, and so quickly that next year we will have to find a larger location, said committee member Victor Miller.
Miller reports that the event raised money for their scholarship that was presented by the Links, Inc. in the name and memory of the late Pole march Maceo Bethel.
Traditional activities included the singing of the Kappa Hymn and the Sweetheart Hymn following the presentation of the rose to each of their sweethearts the men gather in a circle pledging their love and support to one another.
A raucous raffle, music both by D.J. Kim and a live band Wally Ali, and dancing made the evening a fun time for all. New intakes for the local Alumni Chapter and for the Eta-Zeta Chapter at UCR were presented and welcomed by the men.
Polemarchs are Dr. Lewis Clarke of Riverside and Cliff Hackney of the San Bernardino Chapter.
This Week's Most Read
- Deportations for Minor Crimes: The Obama Administration's 'Shame'
- Loma Linda University Health Study: Black Vegetarians at Lower Risk for Heart Disease
- Covered California's African-American Enrollment Figures Underwhelming Despite Gains
- Black Students Receive $25,000 a year Buick Scholarships
- Bill Clinton says Voter ID Laws Undermine Civil Rights Progress