The autos were powered by four-cylinder Continental engines and were said to be ca pable of speeds of 50 mph. Both Patterson models were priced at about $850. While entering the competitive world of auto manufacturing, the Patterson Co. continued to turn out wagons and advertise for farm repair work.
Few automobiles were manufactured. Production estimates range from 30 to about 150 cars. Apparently there was a better market for cus tom-bodied vehicles, as Fred Patterson decided to cease production of the cars and concentrate his efforts on such products as buses, hearses, moving vans, and trucks for hauling ice, milk and baked goods.
The buses and trucks had wood framing with metal skins. They were mounted on Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet chassis until the company shifted to an all-steel body around 1930.
For a time this strategy proved quite success ful. Patterson buses were the first to travel the streets of Cincinnati, and other vehicles were shipped as far away as Haiti. The Patterson Co. was one of the first to manufacture two-wheeled trailers in the mid-1930’s.
The combination of Detroit’s mass production and the Depression dealt a fatal blow to the company in the 1930’s. Unable to raise suffi cient operating capital in Greenfield, the family accepted an offer to relocate in Gallipolis. The firm changed its name to the Gallia Body Co. and operated there for about a year before lack of financial support and a shortage of experi enced workers caused the firm to cease opera tions.
Only in recent years has the Patterson family received much notice for its remarkable achievements in the manufacture of motorized vehicles. An exhibit in Philadelphia and a salute during Black History Month a few years ago have helped alert others to the remarkable ac complishments of former slave C.R. Patterson and his son, Fred.
|< Prev||Next >|