Corporations often use "destination" meetings as an "incentive" for their employees to push hard throughout the year and have a reward for their hard work. There are also some community based organizations and or groups, such as the Trumpet Awards (based out of Atlanta), who traveled to Las Vegas for their event one year; and the Ebony Fashion Fair Show that travels around the country raising funds for local charities, to name a couple, who experience "destination" events.
When considering doing an event or meeting outside of your home base, please consider the following as part of your research before jumping forward.
- Locate Destination Management Companies (DMC's) in the city you plan to visit.
- If you plan to travel outside of the Country, make sure you research the rules, customs and laws appropriate for that country.
- Contact the local Convention & Visitors Bureau to find the necessary resources, venues and suppliers you will need to use that are qualified and come with a reference.
- Another good source to reach out to would be the local Chamber of Commerce.
- Examine your budget - always remember things tend to run a bit higher than you originally estimate by the time you finish everything.
- Get a referral if possible for the place you desire to visit.
- Be prepared for the things that come up that are out of your control (i.e.: Airline Companies going out of business) and make sure you have Insurance and/or a plan B.
- At the end of the day...do your homework!
Once you've completed all of the above...then get ready to hopefully accomplish your goals and have an "eventful" time!
Give your all in all that you do. Then the PLUS won't just be more, it will be the difference!
Wendy is the founder and president of Personal Services Plus, Inc., an Event Management Company. Visit www.personalservicesplus.com or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|< Prev||Next >|