Bethel AME Church of Barstow will celebrate their 60th anniversary on June 5, 2011.
The first attempt to organize an A.M.E. Church in Barstow was in a small house on Crooks Avenue under the leadership of Rev. Clem Johnson. The group only met for a short while.
In 1948, the church was reorganized by a very small group of devoted men and women in the home of mother Dora Porter under the leadership of Rev. G. L. Glascow.
This group also met from home to home until the purchase of the present site where an old garage was converted into a place of worship. The first small church was erected in 1951 while Rev. J. M. Burks was pastor.
Many pastors came and went until 1960 when our presiding Elder, Rev. A. K. Quinn sent Rev. B. W/ Inghram to us as pastor. The church began to grow and many accomplishments were made during his stay with us. The mortgage was paid off first, and then a block wall was built around the church. An addition was added to the rear of the church in1973. A parsonage was purchased in 1991. In 1993, a new parking lot was purchased.
We began remodeling the front area of the church. Before its completion, Rev. Inghram decided to retire at the annual conference in October of 2000, after forty years of service. Bishop John R. Bryant sent us Pastor Carrie Humphrey under her leadership we were able to complete the church renovation. We also purchased a new church sign under Pastor Humphrey.
In 2006 at the annual conference Bishop Bryant decided to relocate Pastor Humphrey and sent us Pastor Andrew Rolling’s who stayed only one conference.
Thus, at the annual conference of 2007 Bishop Bryant appointed us our present Pastor Rev. Clarence Luckey under the leadership of Pastor Luckey we have restructured the church vision, we have purchased a computer for the church and installed internet service the church web page in under construction and scheduled to launch any day now, we have also established a nonprofit Corporation for the church “Bethel Barstow Community Development Corporation”. The church continues to make progress within the community where it is located.
|< Prev||Next >|