By Natasha Ferguson –
Riverside Downtown Partnership in conjunction with the City of Riverside and its Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department launched a new movies series last year. The second annual ‘Movies on Main’ series returns with blockbuster G-rated and PG movies the entire family will enjoy. These free movies will be shown on Main Street between University and Mission Inn Avenue projected on an inflatable outdoor screen.
Scheduled movies this summer include:
• July 14 - How to Train Your Dragon, about a hapless young Viking who aspires to hunt dragons and becomes the unlikely friend of a young dragon himself.
• July 21 – Despicable Me, tells the story about a criminal mastermind who uses a trio of orphan girls as pawns for a grand scheme, only to find their love profoundly changes him for the better.
• July 28 – Karate Kid, stars Jackie Chan, Jaden Smith and Taraji P. Henson about a mom whose work causes her to move to China with her young son who embraces kung fu taught to him by a master.
• August 11 – Toy Story 3, takes you on an eventful journey when the toys are mistakenly delivered to a daycare center instead of the attic of their owner who goes away to college.
• August 18 – Nanny McPhee Returns, is a magical tale where the nanny arrives to help a harried young mother who is trying to run the family farm while her husband is away at war. She uses her magic to teach the woman’s children and their two spoiled cousins’ five new lessons.
• August 25 – Tangled, a twist to the fable of the magically long-haired Rapunzel who has spent her entire life in a tower, when a runaway thief stumbles upon her and opens her up to the discovery of the world and who she is for the first time.
The evening will start with live musical entertainment at 7 p.m. followed by the movie screening at 8 p.m. Early arrival is strongly recommended to secure a good spot and attendees can bring their own chair or blanket. Nearby downtown restaurants will be open late, and refreshments and goodies are available for purchase onsite.
For more information and to view movie trailers visit www.RiversideDowntown.org or call 951.341.6550.