A+ R A-

blackvoicenews.com

Lend More, Obama Tells Bankers

E-mail Print PDF

By BVN Staff –

President Barack Obama challenged top bankers Monday to explore “every responsible way” to increase lending, saying they were obliged to help after being rescued by taxpayers.

In a statement after more than an hour-long meeting with the executives, Obama said he reminded them that much of the financial crisis that took the U.S. banking system to the brink of collapse had been “of their own making.” He also exhorted the executives— both in private and in public—to drop their opposition to an overhaul of the nation’s financial industry.

“If they wish to fight commonsense consumer protections, that’s a fight I’m more than willing to have, “ Obama told reporters at the White House.

He also urged lenders to find creative ways to free up lending.

Obama said banks have benefited from bailouts and should use that strength to lend more money to consumer and businesses.

“But given the difficulty business people are having as lending has declined and given the exceptional assistance banks received to get them through a difficult time, “ he said, “we expect them to explore every responsible way to help get our economy moving again. “

Delay, he said, was not an option he was willing to consider as his administration has focused on digging out an economy that has left more than 15 million Americans out of work. Many Americans resent the help the government gave to wealthy bankers while seeming to ignore their difficulties. Bank of America chief executive Kenneth Lewis pledged to Obama that his bank would lend $5 billion more to small- and mid-sized businesses in 2010 than it did in 2009, the bank said. It said the move is part of the bank’s broader effort to support an economic recovery.

JPMorgan said last month that it would boost such lending by $4 billion.

Obama’s stern lecture came hours after Citigroup said that it was repaying $20 billion in bailout money it received from the Treasury Department in an effort to reduce government influence over the banking giant. The government will also sell its stake in the company.

The slow economy has businesses reluctant to expand—and makes banks more grim about their prospects. Loan applications are down.

Sacramento Students Convene At Capitol To Push For Real School Reform

E-mail Print PDF

Sacramento High School students along with principal P.K. Diffenbaugh and the California state NAACP visited offices of key legislators negotiating California’s approach to Race to the Top - President Obama’s $4.3 billion education reform challenge. The student delegation came to the State Capitol to voice their opposition to ABX5 8. b The delegation met with representatives from the office of Speaker Karen Bass and ABX5 8 author, Assm. Julia Brownley (D-Santa Monica). The group expressed concern for the lack of parental rights and cumbersome rules on charter schools in Brownley’s bill and advocated on behalf of the real reform that will take California’s schools to the top offered in Sen. Gloria Romero’s SBX5 1.

Among the group was 11th grade student senator Lenee Washington who watched the Assembly vote down SBX5 1 in favor of a weaker measure targeting charter schools and backed by the teachers union. These students attend Sacramento High School, a charter school turn-around of a state sanctioned, failing school. In its new form, Sacramento High School ranks in the top 10 percent of similar schools and sends over b70 percent of its graduates to four-year colleges.

“Complete education reform will allow struggling students to not only graduate high school, but also have the chance to excel in higher education and make something of themselves” said Washington. “Every student deserves the right to a quality education.” “I made a decision to attend a public charter school rather than a traditional school,” said Jadell Lee, senior student and student body president of Sacramento High School. “It was the best decision I made concerning my future.”

A high-resolution copy of photo below of the students meeting with Speaker Bass’ education consultant as well as .pdf versions of the handwritten notes the students gave to the Speaker and Assemblywoman are available.

Please e-mail or call Carmy bPreston at cpreston@fortuneschool.us or 916-924-8633.

ACLU, Barbers Reach Landmark Racial Profiling Settlement

E-mail Print PDF

By Chris Levister –

Facing civil rights violations and a potentially costly legal battle, The California Board of Barbering & Cosmetology (BBC) and Executive Officer Kristy Underwood agreed to a groundbreaking settlement that protects against racial profiling and places new restrictions on joint inspections with outside agencies.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California and the law firm Seyfarth Shaw LLP outlined details of the agreement during a news conference in Los Angeles today.

“This settlement goes a long way toward ensuring that what happened to barbers at the Hair Shack and Fades Unlimited last April won’t happen to other barbers in California,” said ACLU attorney Peter Bibring.

The settlement comes 7 months after the ACLU filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Riverside alleging Moreno Valley police officers and city code inspectors acting in conjunction with the BBC, conducted a series of racially-targeted warrantless raids on barbershops owned and patronized by African-Americans under the false pretense that the searches were just routine health-code inspections.

The agreement calls for Underwood to provide BBC inspectors with specified training and not later than December 31, 2009, make significant changes in the agency’s policy manual governing barbering and cosmetology inspections.

The conditions include the inclusion of a comprehensive anti-discrimination policy that bars discrimination against or grants preferential treatment to any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin.

BBC inspectors will only conduct authorized inspections necessary to determine compliance with the licensing, health and safety standards set forth in the BBC Act and Regulations. The agreement states BBC inspectors are forbidden to use health and safety inspections performed jointly with federal, state, or local law enforcement or other government entities as a pretext for conducting warrantless inspections or collecting criminal evidence.

Inspections that pose a possible safety risk to BBC personnel or suspicious criminal activity inadvertently uncovered during an inspection unrelated to BBC operations e.g. the presence of illegal drugs or other illegal substances; weapons shall be deferred to the Division of Investigation (DOI).

The agreement states joint inspection requests with outside agencies shall be investigated by the BBC Enforcement Manager, authorized by the Executive Officer and completed or accompanied by DOI personnel.

The lawsuit filed on behalf of Kevon Gordon, Ronald Jones, Raymond Barnes and Quincy Brown alleges police armed with automatic weapons entered the barbershops wearing body armor and asking patrons for identification.

When one barber asked for an explanation, he was allegedly handcuffed and hauled out to a police cruiser where officers ran a criminal warrant check before releasing him.

The complaint alleges officers blocked the entrances, questioned employees and rummaged through the storefront businesses in a manner more befitting a drug raid than a civil code and business license inspection.

The April 2008 raids, first reported in the Black Voice News sparked a nationwide debate on racial profiling and police practices governing unlawful searches.

The barbers named in the lawsuit and their customers remain indignant and humiliated. They say business has fallen off and their reputations damaged.

Gordon, owner of The Hair Shack called the settlement the right thing to do. “I’m gratified by this agreement. It sends a strong message that the inspections were improper. Barbershops are of particular importance in the Black community,” he said. “I think people will now feel more comfortable about returning.”

“The state deserves credit for recognizing that these policy changes help ensure that barbering and cosmetology inspections will be used to enforce the laws of the beauty industry, not as a pretext for criminal law enforcement ,” said Bibring.

Underwood said “the state agency was not told Moreno Valley police were looking for criminal activity when they asked regulators to accompany them during the April raids.” She declined comment on the settlement, did not admit to wrong doing and agreed to pay $62,910 in attorney fees and court costs. The court will oversee enforcement for 3 years. The agreement does not resolve the ACLU complaint against the City of Moreno Valley and the County of Riverside which provides police services to the city.

The lawsuit demands unspecified monetary damages and written policy changes that would prohibit racial profiling, and ban similar kinds of illegal inspections as a way to get around requirements for obtaining search warrants.

Chief Deputy Rick Hall of the Riverside Sheriff’s Department, who was Moreno Valley’s police chief at the time of the raids, insisted race was never a factor. He said the actions were prompted by police who went into a shop and found barbers working without licenses.

 

BVF Holiday Gala Focuses on 2010

E-mail Print PDF

Dignitaries, guests and community members came from near and far to celebrate The Black Voice Foundation’s 5th annual Holiday Gala and birthday celebration for Black Voice News Co-Publisher Hardy Brown.

This year’s event recognized 37 community builders as well as the upcoming year’s 2010 foundation programs.

Paulette Brown-Hinds, PhD. and Executive Director of the foundation began the program by recognizing 37 individuals who have played exemplary roles in their career and the community at large.

These community builders chosen by their peers were featured in The Black Voice News’ 37th Anniversary edition earlier this year. They were given a gift bag with a giclee from artist Charles Bibbs, as well as certificates from Assemblywoman Wilmer Amina Carter, Congressman Ken Calvert, and Supervisor Josie Gonzales.

During the celebration, Brown-Hinds announced that Hardy Brown, II will be serving as the Executive Director of Black Voice Foundation and officially turned the reigns of the foundation over to him.

“The gala was an exciting event that allowed the foundation to focus on our upcoming 2010 partnerships,” stated Brown. “We are excited about working and partnering with our community builders,” he continued.

Those partnerships include working with Community Action Partnership of San Bernardino through the foundation’s Opportunity of a Lifetime program geared towards mentoring and training youth by bringing in professionals and partnering with them allowing the youths to learn different career related options through a virtual program using the latest technology.

Also highlighted was the foundation’s internship program, Footsteps to Freedom Study Tour, Gospel Music History Project, CA Black Media and the Green Project.

Happy Birthday was sung by all the attendees as a birthday cake was carried in by Lynn Lee, Sonietta Brown, and Jordan Brown.

During his thank you speech, Brown referenced Joshua 1:6, God’s charge to Joshua not only for manly courage but a courageous faith centered in the word of God. He spoke of the people that have helped him and how he is grateful and blessed for the people in his life.

Riverside Unified Approves 124 Teacher Cuts

E-mail Print PDF

By BVN Staff –

It’s shaping up to be a ‘blue’ Christmas for 124 Riverside Unified School District teachers in kindergarten through third grade. They’re about to join the unemployed.

The school board voted Monday night to lay off the teachers in order to help close a gaping $37 million budget deficit for next year.

The board also voted not to fill three principal and assistant principal positions at a projected savings of $404,250.

“This is not okay. This is personal,” said Superintendent Rick Miller. Miller said the cuts are a last resort.

“We don’t have a lot of choices left. Every employee in the district is being asked to make sacrifices.” The biggest fall out is class size.

The ratio of students to teachers will go from the class reduction size of 20 to 1 to 30 to 1.

Miller and top school administrators urged people to contact legislators in Sacramento.

“Ask them when will they get the message that there’s no fat left to cut. We’re hurting teachers and pupils.” Assistant Superintendent Kirk Lewis agreed calling the budget predicament the worst financial crisis in the district’s history.

A teacher who said she expects to be laid off put a face on the cuts:

“I crashed my car in February, lost my home in June, my cat died in August and now I’m about to lose my job – so what else is new.”

“I see no way we can move forward without staff reductions,” responded Miller.

The layoffs will save the district $5.9 million of the $9 million needed to make the budget mark. The layoffs are set to take effect in the 2010 school year.

Page 157 of 160

Quantcast

BVN National News Wire