The Black Barbershop Health Outreach Program was launched in December 2007 by The Diabetic Amputation Prevention Foundation (DAP) founded by Dr. Bill J. Releford, D.P.M. The mission of DAP is to increase public awareness and address the health care needs of the African American community, particularly in Black men who are the highest health risk than any other racial group.
It is a known fact that many men (particularly in the Black community) won’t go get important health screenings.
Through The Black Barbershop Health Outreach Program DAP has created an ingenious way to reach this demographic by bringing these lifesaving resources directly to their door through barbershops across the Western and Inland Region. Participating barbershops will host ‘one day only’, diabetes and high blood pressure screenings on Saturday, May 22nd from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Healthy Heritage Movement Inc. has joined forces with DAP to cover 15 barbershops in the Inland Region.
Participating barbershops include:
· Cold Cutz Barbershop, 4029 Market St. in Riverside, Calif.
· Canvas Barbershop, 10569 ½ Magnolia Ave. in Riverside, Calif.
· Time Out Salon, 330 South Mountain Ave. in Upland, Calif.
· Gentlemen’s Headquarters, 9024 Archibald Ave. in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
· M.V.P., 15952 Perris Blvd. #B in Moreno Valley, Calif.
· Xclusive Cutz, 23962 Alessandro Blvd. #H, Moreno Valley, Calif.
· Da Mood Barbershop, 205 E. Mission Blvd. in Pomona, Calif.
· Groom Time Barbershop, 205 E. Mission Blvd. in Pomona, Calif.
· Nu Flava, 2146 Garey Ave. in Pomona, Calif.
· LUV’D Ones, 131 E. Highland in San Bernardino, Calif.
· What’s Happening Now, 349 Highland in San Bernardino, Calif.
· Luv’D Ones Barbershop, 7373 East Ave., Suite E in Fontana, Calif.
· LUV’D Ones, 802 W. Colton Ave. #H in Redlands, Calif.
· Artistically Yours, 1705 E. Washington in Colton, Calif.
· Da Spot Hair Studio, 288 W. Highland Ave. in San Bernardino, Calif.
Through this unique program, DAP’s goal is to get more than 500,000 African American men screened by 2012. The programs have already tested close to 10,000 African American men in 23 cities including New Orleans, Chicago, Atlanta and Harlem. For more information visit www.BlackBarbershop.org.
|< Prev||Next >|